Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A Little More on the Ice Craving...

Okay...so I have to post a little on the ice craving that I've been having. I did a little research and here's what I came up with. There's actually a term for this, called "Pica."
Pica is the practice of craving substances with little or no nutritional value. Most pica cravings involve non-food substances such as dirt or chalk. The word pica is Latin for magpie which is a bird notorious for eating almost anything.
The reason that some women develop pica cravings during pregnancy is not known for certain. There is currently no identified cause; however, according to the Journal of American Dietetic Association there may be a connection to an iron deficiency.
The most common substances craved during pregnancy are dirt, clay, and laundry starch. Other pica cravings include: burnt matches, stones, charcoal, mothballs, ice, cornstarch, toothpaste, soap, sand, plaster, coffee grounds, baking soda, and cigarette ashes.
Could you imagine what people would say if they saw me eating dirt or coffee grounds...yuk! I'm so glad that I don't have any of those cravings. Ice is fine with me...although Brad is getting tired of hearing the loud crunching noise. :)

No comments: