Erin had her first doctor appointment on Monday, March 8th. This was basically a weight check to see if she was maintaining her weight. She weighed 5 lbs when we left the hospital. She weighed in at 4 lbs 14.4 oz and was 18 1/4 inches at the clinic. Her head measured 32 centimeters.
The doctor wanted us to supplement Erin's feedings with an extra ounce after nursing. She was also diagnosed with a bacteria in her mouth called Thrush. This means that EVERYTHING has to be washed & sterilized. All of this added to an already heavy load that I already had, but I was determined to do whatever it took to get her gaining weight and be healthy. She was prescribed Nistatin four times a day for the Thrush.
She also gets Neosure added to her milk twice a day. This is a specific formula which has more calories for preemies.
Brad bought me a little gadget called an Itzbeen which has been a lifesaver. This electronic gadget has four separate timers on it. One for the last diaper change, one button for feedings, another button for medications, and the last button is kind of and extra little button. Each time I change a diaper or feed her, I push the corresponding button and the clock starts. This has been really handy since there are some days I don't even know what day it is.
After Erin's first appointment, I made a follow up for a week later. We went back to the clinic on Monday, March 15th and she had only gained half of what she was supposed to. Typically, newborns will gain an ounce per day. The doctor seemed a bit concerned and didn't understand why she wasn't gaining weight. Erin was eating all the time and I was giving her the supplements like they told me to.
Erin was also scheduled to receive a Synagis shot for RSV (respiratory syncytial virus) on Thursday, March 18th. RSV is a very serious respiratory infection and is more dangerous with preemies. After the shot, they monitored her for 20 minutes to make sure she did not have a reaction to the shot. Erin did just fine. She had no reactions, but wasn't too happy about getting the shot. She stopped crying as soon as she heard my voice. She is supposed to have another Synagis shot each month, however this shot is VERY expensive and our insurance company only approved one dose. One shot costs $1,947.30. My jaw dropped when I heard it. Yikes.
At this check up, her weight was gaining appropriately, so we didn't have to make another appointment for a weight check. She had gained an ounce per day. I was so relieved to hear this because if it would have been bad news, I don't know what more I could have done. I felt like I was feeding her all the time.
A few days later she developed a cold and I brought her into the clinic because her breathing was really bad and she had a rattle in her chest...some of the symptoms of RSV. The doctor did a couple of tests but everything came back normal. This cold has gone on for about three weeks and I have brought her back into the clinic, but the doctor keeps saying the cold should go away within a week. Well, it's still here. I feel so bad for her.
Erin is such a great baby. She doesn't cry very much and she loves to get her beauty sleep. The doctors from the hospital told me that I would have to wake her up every three hours to feed because preemies don't wake themselves up to eat. This is where the Itzbeen came in handy the most. I can set an alarm on it to alert me every three hours for feedings. I would totally recommend this little gadget for any new mother.
smile, it's friday :)
13 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment