Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Erin's 1st Sickness

Erin and Emmy both came down with colds last Friday.  On Saturday Erin had a fever of 100.7.  She definitely wasn't feeling herself.  All she wanted to do was cry and lay down...unusual for this bubbly baby.   She slept most of the day on Saturday.  By 9:00 pm on Saturday her fever had broke and she seemed to be feeling a little bit better.  However, Sunday she was definitely feeling much worse.  She was very congested, had a runny nose, and was wheezing.  I started to give her some nebulizer treatments but Brad didn't think it was a good idea to do this until hearing from the doctor that it was okay. 

She didn't have much of an appetite on Sunday.  She only drank 4 oz of formula in the morning and another 4 oz at night.  Definitely not enough - since she's supposed to get around 32 oz of formula per day.  She ate some sweet potatoes in the afternoon and I also gave her some Pedialyte through a syringe several times throughout the day.  I didn't want her getting dehydrated.  She wouldn't drink anything in the bottle...the syringe worked well.   

I brought her into the clinic Monday morning.  The doctor listened to her chest and put her on a neb treatment right away.  We will be doing this 2-3 times per day until the wheezing stops. 
The doctor also checked her ears and discovered she has a double ear infection.  Here we go again.
I just hope that Erin doesn't go through as many ear infections as Emmy did. 
Erin will be on Amoxicillin for 10 days.  Her next appointment is on Dec 1st, so we'll get her ears rechecked at that appointment. 

I kept both girls home from daycare yesterday to rest up.  Erin still didn't have much of an appetite yesterday so I made sure to giver her some jello and more pedialyte.  I gave her another neb treatment at home yesterday afternoon.  She doesn't like having the mask on her face and squirms around a lot.  It makes for a long seven minutes. 
Today she seems to be feeling a bit better.  Her appetite is slowly coming back.

There is another little girl at daycare who has pneumonia right now.  She's had a fever every day for about a week.  Her parents have kept her home for over a week now.  I hope she feels better soon.  Emmy keeps asking where Hadley is. 

Emmy is feeling fine now.  She just has a dry cough and runny nose.  I hope my little munchkins feel better soon.

No comments: