Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Under the Weather - Pneumonia

Our whole family is under the weather at the moment.  Brad got us all sick - yes...I'll blame it on him.  Well...who knows where we picked this up, but Brad was the first to get it.

I started out with a sore throat last week, which turned into a little flu bug and then I got socked with a massive chest cold which has now turned into bronchitis.  Both of the girls have the same symptoms that I do.  Emmy is starting to get over her ear infection and still has a bit of a cough.  But my poor little Erin has PNEUMONIA!!
She has had a fever that has been coming and going for about three days.  I was going to take her into the clinic yesterday, however she seemed pretty happy during the day and her fever was down.  Last night she took a turn for the worst.  Her breathing started getting more heavy and rapid.  She certainly wasn't her bubbly self...that's for sure.  All she wanted to do was cuddle. 

Brad brought her into the clinic this morning.  Right away they checked her oxygen levels which came back really low.  They gave her a nebulizer treatment and then tested her again.  This time her levels were better but they still wanted to do an x-ray. 

The doctor came back into the room just as I arrived (I hurried over to the clinic from work).  She explained to us that it was pneumonia and she also has a double ear infection and pink eye.  The doctor gave us a prescription and sent us home for the night.  We have another appointment in the morning where they will check her oxygen levels once more.  We will know more in the morning if she will have to be hospitalized or if we will just continue our home care.

Erin is in pain most when she coughs or sneezes.  But she seems to be most comfortable sleeping in my arms.  She doesn't have much of an appetite so I am giving her some Pedialyte for now. 

Hopefully we find out some better news tomorrow.

No comments: