Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Potty Training w/Miss Emmy

I am happy to report that Emmy is DONE wearing diapers and Pull Ups!!!  Our first experience with potty training was...um an experience.  It seemed like the day was never going to come where she would get it.  Everyone kept telling me it would just happen one day and she would be done wearing those icky diapers, etc.
When she was a year and a half, we bought her a musical potty chair.  It was exciting for her to have her own potty at first, but then it turned into a step stool.  Also, the musical part got really annoying because it just seemed to go on forever even when it was dry.  And, who wants to hear music when you "Go" anyway?!  I'm not sure that the music really helped her.  She got excited the first few times, but then it became a game to her when she found out that all she had to do was lift up the lid and take out the pan to push the button for the music to play.  What a smarty.

We never wanted to push her into potty training.  We wanted it to be more on her own.  We just talked to her about it and got excited when she did go, etc.  We eventually got a potty book that came with stickers.  Each time she went potty, she received one sticker.  This helped a bit and then a few months later we tried M&Ms. 
I think this whole training experience might have gone a little better if we would have gotten a little help from our daycare.  She said, "Typically kids either learn at home or daycare, not both."  I do not agree with that statement and think that a child should be taught all day long.

Around Christmastime, I told Emmy that Santa had brought her a whole bunch of toys, but he also took all of her diapers away.  We then moved from diapers to Pull Ups.  She still thinks Santa took her diapers.  LOL! 
WARNING!!... T.M.I. coming below...
When she started telling us that she had to go potty, we knew we were moving in the right direction and went to Target and bought her some big girl panties. It was easier for her to go #2 on the potty than #1.  I'm not complaining.  Training had its ups and downs, but my most favorite part was when she (here it comes) went #2 on the big girl potty and looked into the toilet and said, "Hey mommy!  There's corn in my poop!"

Miss Emmy, you make me laugh!  I'm so excited that she's a "big girl" now.

No comments: