Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Pneumonia/Asthma Troubles

A couple of weeks ago I signed the girls up for "Parent Night Out" at my gym.  While the girls were having fun at the gym, Brad and I tried our luck at the slot machines down at Mystic Lake.  We ended up winning some money for once.  I think I ended up winning $120 overall.  WINNING!  That's the good news!

The Bad News...
When we went to pick up the girls from the gym, Erin saw us and came running/crying to us.  At first I thought she was just tired and missed us.  But when I bent down to give her a hug & kiss, I noticed that she had a fever.  I felt terrible that she wasn't feeling good & exposing her to other kids, but she wasn't sick when we dropped her off earlier that night.

I took her temperature when we got home & gave her some meds.  She spiked a fever of 104 and it went up & down through Sunday.  She had a little runny nose but nothing else.  I figured we should start giving her the nebulizer treatments again just to be safe.  She was working harder to breathe all through Sunday.  I took her into the clinic first thing Monday morning and found out she had pneumonia.  They gave us more meds and told us to come back in two days for a follow up.  As in the past, we NEVER make it to day two. 
Brad stayed home with her on Tuesday and by the afternoon she was really working hard to breathe & was pretty uncomfortable.  Brad brought her back to the clinic but they said she was getting good oxygen, gave her a neb treatment, etc & said "come back tomorrow." 
She never really responded too well to the neb treatments that afternoon and by 8:00 pm I decided to bring her to Children's Hospital ER.  

The Triage area nurse made me second guess why I was there.  He kept asking me questions... "Who sent you here?"  Um...that would be me.  I'm her mother.  Then he said, "Well, what's wrong with her?  What's changed?  When was her last neb treatment?"  She still had good O2 levels so he looked at me strange.  I replied, "We've been here three times before for this same thing.  I know what to look for!"  We then kindly took a seat and our name was called shortly after. 

The doctor checked Erin over, gave her an IV, neb treatments, and an x-ray.  They thought she may have had a collapsed lung.  After all the tests, they decided she needed to be admitted for Pneumonia/Asthma.  We camped out at Children's for 2 1/2 days.  Erin even made me order her Mac-n-Cheese for breakfast one morning.  I figured if I could at least get her to eat, I'll order whatever she wants. 

She's feeling much better now.  We are now seeing a Pulmonologist for follow ups.  They gave us all the necessary meds to have on hand in case this happens again.  This was Erin's 4th hospital stay in three years.
She has neb treatments & an inhaler until June.  Keeping our fingers crossed this doesn't happen again.   

No comments: