Tuesday, October 5, 2010

MRI Follow Up

I went to my MRI follow up appointment this morning.  My scans show that I have a disc bulge between the L4 & L5 discs which is pressing onto my nerves.  I will be going back to the neurologist's office in two weeks for an EMG.  An EMG (Electromyography) involves testing the electrical activity of muscles. Often, EMG testing is performed with another test that measures the conducting function of nerves.

Several of the most common nonsurgical treatments for L4 & L5 disc bulge include:


  • Physical therapy
  • Osteopathic/chiropractic manipulations
  • Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
  • Oral steroids (e.g. prednisone or methyprednisolone)
  • An epidural (cortisone) injection

My thoughts about the above treatments...
A.  I could opt to do physical therapy, however it would take several weeks of therapy to heal. 
B.  I probably won't be going to the chiropractor for regular visits.
C.  I could take Non-steroidal drugs for a while, but it would not focus on one area and I don't want to be on drugs for a long time.
D.  Same thing with Oral Steroids.  I was on an oral steroid last week, but this is just temporary relief.
E.  An epidural injection focuses on the main cause and gets right to the point.
 
I've been dealing with this pain for over two months and I'm ready to find an immediate cure.  I'm probably going to do the epidural injection in two weeks (after the EMG).  This tends to be the most effective treatment.
 
Once the results from the EMG come back, they will know if surgery is needed.  I'm crossing all of my fingers and toes and am hoping that I will not need surgery. 
 
All of my lab work came back normal.  There's no Lymes disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, etc.
And my tailbone problem is probably related to pregnancy/child birth.
 
I haven't been to the Orthopedic Surgeon regarding my knees yet.  I'm trying to jump over this hurdle first.
 
Like I said before...it's the pits getting older.

No comments: