Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Follow-up on knees

I had an MRI on my knees last Thursday and got the results back yesterday.  My Orthopedic doctor said that the MRI came back normal, however I do have Quad Tendinitis in both knees along with water on my knees & some bone degeneration.  How in the heck does this make an MRI normal??  Anyway, at the same time I am relieved to hear it isn't anything more major and I'm still able to walk and my ticker still works. :)

The doctor tested the fluid in my knees to see if I had Gout.  That test came back normal.  So he gave me a cortisone shot in my right knee and said if it felt better, to come back in three weeks to get a shot in my left knee.  So far, I don't feel much difference but I do know that it takes a couple of days for the shot to kick in.

I've been putting up with this pain for around two years.  I don't know how or what it came from other than maybe volleyball, but it's been a few years since I've done any of that. 
The pain has gradually gotten worse over the last few months and the only thing the doctor told me to do is rest my legs.  So at work I prop up my legs on top of my computer.  It does take the ache away...but only temporarily.  Sleeping is terrible because I sleep with my legs curled which makes the pain worse.  I wake up at night and have to pull my legs straight.  The Dr told me to sleep on my back but I can't sleep when I'm laying flat on my back.   I have pain when I walk up stairs, bending, curling, and any time I put pressure on them.  So, I hope to have some long term relief from this cortisone shot. 
If it does not work, then my next option is a leg brace.  How nice is that going to look?  Yippee.
I just hope it gets better.  The doctor said the pain will eventually go away.  Okay then, hurry up and go away pain...I've had enough of you!

The Dr. said I'm not a candidate for knee surgery right now.  Probably too young I'm guessing.  If I had any tingling in my toes, then he would consider it. 

I still think this pain is all somehow connected to my back pain.  My MRI on that showed the disc bulge and degeneration.  Since last November I have had two steroid injections in my spine.  I saw immediate relief in both my back and my knees.  However, the relief only lasted a few weeks, but it was the best few weeks of my life!  The doctors seem to think a few weeks of relief is great.  I'm thankful to get relief, but was also looking for some more long term relief. 

I have taken Ibuprofen, Medrol dose pack, muscle relaxers (HATE those.  I actually had to sleep under my desk at work one day because the damn pill knocked me out LOL!), iced my knees and back, as well as physical therapy, but none of it seems to help.

Next time you see me I just may be in a full leg brace. 

No comments: